Birchard Public Library
The Birchard Public Library [BPL], located in Sandusky County, Ohio is seeking an accomplished leader to serve as their next Library Director. This dynamic leadership position reports directly to a seven-member Board of Trustees and is responsible for the executive administration of the organization. The Library Director will provide sound operations and fiscal management while prioritizing patron satisfaction, community collaboration and engagement, and employee relations and development.
About the Library and Community
BPL was established in 1873 by Sardis Birchard [President Rutherford B. Hayes’ uncle] and the library celebrated 150 years of public service to Sandusky County residents this year. The main branch is located in Fremont, Ohio and is undergoing an impressive 8,500 square foot building expansion which will provide space for new, vital community services and will include a state-of-the-art technology training room, sound and video production studio, new children's area, dedicated teen room, meeting rooms, reading garden, and more. The library has three additional branch locations, a strong Foundation with a one-million-dollar endowment, and an active Friends group that provides additional funding and support.
BPL’s mission is to meet the information, education, and recreation needs of the residents of Sandusky County, to provide easy and equal access to materials in their variety of forms, and to develop broad community awareness of the library and its services. For more information about BPL, visit: birchard.lib.oh.us.
Located on the Sandusky River and rich in local history, Fremont is a tight-knit, friendly community with a recently revitalized downtown/historical district featuring boutiques, gift shops, restaurants, and other attractions. The area also boasts many beautiful outdoor parks and natural recreation areas and is located less than 30 miles from the world-famous Cedar Point amusement park, Marblehead/the Lake Erie shore and islands, and the metro-Toledo area.
Position Qualifications and Compensation
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Five or more years of experience in operations and prior library management experience.
- Experience in fiscal oversight of an annual budget, and the ability to advocate for public library levy funding and support.
- Experience collaborating and partnering with trustees, civic/community partners, local businesses, and other key stakeholders.
- Experience improving facilities, collections, programs, and workforce development.
- Experience implementing policies and upholding the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion [DEI] and intellectual freedom [ensuring free, equal, and confidential access to information for all people of the community.
- A master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
A generous compensation package includes a competitive starting pay range minimum of $90,000; healthcare benefits include generous paid time-off allowances; medical, dental, vision, and pension plans; and more.
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter [including salary requirements] to: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The Birchard Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer [EOE].